June 29th Prompt- Tell me the highlights of your college years.
Oh man…this one is tough! I am so very lucky in that I had an amazing time in college…it’s hard to narrow down the highlights! First things first- location. I applied for all of the colleges in Arkansas (since that is where I lived), as well as KU. I got accepted into every school that I applied, with full scholarships to anywhere in AR and a really good deal at KU. I ended up going to Arkansas Tech University in Russellville, AR for two reasons: 1) it was over 2 hours away from my parents…and I really wanted to get away from them, and 2) I could ‘bank’ the most money at this school. And by ‘bank’ I mean I would get refunded the most amount each semester. I had a full scholarship through the school, but on top of that I had a lot of local scholarships…a full Pell Grant…a debate scholarship..a text book scholarship…etc etc. What does this mean? This means that I had full room/board/books paid for me, and then twice a year I’d get a refund check of around $4k. Cash money, people! And coming from someone who drove a $2k car and whose parents had sent her to college with a Bible and a $20 bill, this made me rich! LOL. It was the first time I didn’t have to worry about money for going out to eat….money for school clothes…money for my car insurance…etc. It was such a relief! I worked as well, so you would think that I would have saved quite a bit of money in 4 years, right? At LEAST $20k, right? Ha. I was so dumb….I blew through all my money each time…but I sure had fun! So….some highlights:
- For the first time in my life, I didn’t feel like an ugly duckling. I had the most beautiful friends in high school…seriously…so I always felt like the ugly, fat girl. It wasn’t their fault at all, it was just issues that I had. Once I got to college, though, I got attention from guys….and I found an amazing group of girls who were always telling me how pretty I was…and it felt nice. God that all sounds awful and vain, doesn’t it? I’m just saying that I finally stopped being so insecure…and that was a great feeling.
- I got scouted out by the college debate coach (oddly, I had never debated…but my speech teacher from high school knew the debate coach and contacted him and told him he’d regret it if he didn’t recruit me), and I got talked into joining the debate team. And you know what? It really impacted my life. I became more knowledgeable about the world as a whole and I got to share my opinions on the subjects. I..for the first time in my life…was allowed to be as liberal as I really felt and was able to share that with others. I got to miss classes and travel around with a great group of guys (I was like the only chick on the team), kicking ass. It was a lot of fun…and easy credit, and easy money.
- I made so many life-long friends…including a core group of friends I still have in Fayetteville/Little Rock. Like REALLY good people, people! Not fake friends…not friends who just have fun with you when they see you….but people you can always depend on and genuinely trust. I was very lucky to find these people….changed MY life and made ME a better person/friend for sure.
- I actually learned a lot in my classes, and enjoyed doing it. I had 3 professors who really impacted my life greatly…and I still keep in touch with them today.
Ok, I realize that this is more of a ‘things I appreciate from college’ or something. Not what I had intended, but all true. Let’s get to more of the fun stuff, I suppose. The highlights:
- Getting dressed up with the girls and going clubbing. We were so young and had no intention of picking up guys or anything, but it was always an exciting and fun time. Lots of memories!
- Road Trips- I can’t even tell you how many road trips I went on in college (and had never done that before)! From traveling with hippies (and one hard-core guy with a soft, gooey, hippy inside) to see concerts (such as Phish, Widespread, Incubus, Dave Matthews, Ben Harper, etc), to traveling with friends/boyfriends to camp in national parks or go snowboarding, a good time was always had. Sure, there may have been an issue with cops once or twice, but nothing too bad.
- Silly dorm events. One event in particular consisted of me and my friend Julie doing a dance/singing routine to Will Smith’s Fresh Price of Bellaire. And we won, lol.
- Parties- house parties/frat parties/whatever….lots of memories.
- I smoked a lot of weed and a lot of cigarettes in college. We had a group of girls who all did, and we’d drive around on back roads getting high and then just sing songs or make up crazy stories or whatever. Total ridiculousness…and total fun. One of my favorite things to do would be to get high and then get back to the dorm and go to Jodie and Julia’s room. They didn’t smoke, but they loved being around me when I did and laughing at me. I would go to their room and entertain them for hours…lots of fond memories.
- The school newspaper. I don’t remember how I got roped into doing articles for them every now and then, but I did. Maybe I should say they were ‘rants,’ more than articles, lol. I had a lot of angst to get out, I guess! Seriously….they would publish just about anything, and I’d get pissed off about something (like parking or student government or beuracray or whatever) and I’d just put it all out there. It was a lot of fun